Re: Trying to break the anaconda/distro embrace

Hello,

Jeremy Katz wrote:
For a long, long time, anaconda has been pretty closely tied to a
specific version of Fedora/RHEL/RHL.  This is something which has
slowly been getting a little bit better.  As we continue to move
forward and try to get contributions of other backends[1], I think
that it's important we continue to move in this direction.

As it stands today, if you boot with the rescue CD, you can enter an
arbitrary repository path and be able to do an installation with the
packages from there without any other real dependencies.  I think that
this is something which is very very valuable.  Much more so than the
existing boot.iso/diskboot.img.

Given this, I'd like to propose some changes for anaconda over the
timeframe of the next Fedora release:

1) Replace boot.iso/diskboot.img with an image analagous to
rescuecd.iso (installcd.iso)

2) Make it so that selection of software repositories can be deferred
to the second stage.  There's already some basic repository selection
for extra repositories; this would just be extending that to show the
"base" repository as well

I'm not quite sure I understand this change. What do you exactly mean by the second stage?

3) Instead of pointing to an installation tree in the loader (for pxe
installs and maybe still diskboot.img), you should point at an
"installer location".  This will definitely include the location of
stage2.  It may also be metadata to point to an installation tree so
that we can preserve existing behavior.

Great idea.

4) Split out the majority of what's currently under scripts/ in
anaconda CVS into their own package/repository.  This should contain
the distro specific bits related to creating an install image.

5) Make sure that the scripts in 4 make it easy to just create
an installcd.iso.  Then, while we may want to have them generated with
the daily rawhide push for Fedora, we can also keep versions around
for people to test with and also make it easier to push an "installer
test"

Does this make sense to people and seem like it would help some in
developing changes as well as doing testing for anaconda?

Jeremy

[1] Hopefully we'll start getting some of the ConaryBackend bits in.
I'm also going to probably be throwing together a backend to install
from an "image" with live CDs.