Re: Design Questions

Jeremy Katz wrote:
On Mon, 2006-12-11 at 11:59 -0500, David Cantrell wrote:
Agreed. I'd like the network configuration stage of anaconda to be supplemented with a screen before it that asks "Would you like to enable NetworkManager?" accompanied by a description of network manager and the benefits and such. If the user selects yes, it skips of the network configuration screen. If they select no, we go to the network configuration screen. I have it on a to do list somewhere.

I'd far rather just enable NetworkManager -- let's figure out the case
of things that you can currently do with the anaconda UI that don't work
with NetworkManager, fix them, and then stop trying to pretend.  Pushing
the question to the user is entirely the wrong answer.[1]  There's no
way you can provide sufficient information for them to make an educated
decision here.

I'm all for that, but I don't think NetworkManager at that point yet. Regardless of what component handles network configuration, those users with static network setups will need to input those values somewhere. NM will have to ask somehow, or we leave it up to anaconda (or firstboot?). NM certainly has far more flexibility in this respect and maybe we should just say, "ok, it's now the responsibility of NM, however it wants to handle it." But that means networking could be non-functional on first boot for new installations if the users have static network configurations.

I hate asking for network configuration information because it's too confusing to new users and it's pointless for experienced users since they bypass it anyway.

At any rate, this is a discussion that should moves towards the NM people as well as anaconda people.

[1] We'll still want to keep most of the configuration via kickstart as
that's somewhat important.  And it's possible that we also keep the
screen around if you're building a non-NetworkManager-enabled
(legacy :-) distribution.

Of course, we wouldn't want to _remove_ code.  :)

--
David Cantrell
Red Hat / Westford, MA