RFI: How to debug a particular problem with grub-install

Hi,

I have a particular problem, only verified with RHEL4AS U4, where Anaconda
happily installs and reboots but there does not seem a bootloader
installed (or it is installed at the wrong location).

This happens on a HP Proliant DL580 G2 with the cciss driver. If I install
the bootloader with grub-install myself (using a rescue cd and
mount/chroot) then the grub device.map lists /dev/cciss/c0d0 as hd4 and
sda as hd0.

Not sure if that is the problem, but manually overwriting the device.map
and making /dev/cciss/c0d0 hd0 works as expected.

Now, instead of asking if this is indeed the problem, I was wondering how
someone would go and debug this. Is there some way to know exactly what
anaconda has been doing at the end of the installation, without modifying
anaconda, without even rebooting and kickstarting again ?

I would expect something like a complete 'set -x' and command output of
*everything* it did. Or an strace like output. Something that can match
behaviour with expectation. Or something you can grep for things, during
or after the installation without loosing time or iterating over things.

The ultimate goal is to provide sufficient information (and maybe even a
patch) to put in a bugzilla report, which I do not have right now.

Thanks in avdance for any help pursuiing this :)
--   dag wieers,  dag@xxxxxxxxxx,  http://dag.wieers.com/   --