Re: Anaconda - Kadischi install to disk from LiveCD

On Fri, 2006-09-01 at 04:30 -0500, Jasper O'neal Hartline wrote:
> Jasper O'neal Hartline wrote:
> > I have a prototype Kadischi here that can be invoked from LiveCD made
> > with Kadischi and also acts as a installer to disk from LiveCD.
> > The problems I am having relate to packages.py, yuminstall.py and
> > grabber.py in the Python package under yum and urlgrabber site-packages.
> >
> Well, I finally got it working, but I had to hack the heck out of
> Anaconda to do so.
> Currently this is what had to be changed: <attached>

Unfortunately, changing like this means that some valid cases where
problems occur won't be caught as nicely thus leading to bizarre crashes
for people :-/

> Could we fix some of this in RAWHIDE perhaps, so this hackery won't be
> neccessary?

The real fix is going through and actually pretty fully auditing the use
of devices throughout anaconda so that we always use the device nodes
in /dev -- at this point, we should be creating them all and so some of
the hoops that have been historically jumped through aren't needed
anymore.

But doing that prior to FC6 is a bit too risky for my taste.

> It seems alot of exceptions occur when a device already exists!

Doing better checks to see if things are really present or not before
trying to create them (or catching the exception in the case where they
already exist) would be better and should be small enough to consider
for FC6

Jeremy