Re: driverdisk option on RH7.3

Niels de Vos wrote:

On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 16:24 +1000, john wrote:
Now, back to my problem. All I'm trying to do is remove the need to
insert the driver diskette by placing a copy of the driver disk's files
(module-info, modules.dep, modules.cgz pcitable) onto the DVD itself and
then telling anaconda to go looking for my drivers on the DVD rather
than prompting me for a diskette.

The 7.3 manual says I can do this using the line
   driverdisk hda --type=iso9660
in my ks.cfg kickstart file.

This is apparently supposed to be interpreted as 'go and look in the
root of the hda partition and you will find some drivers that you need
to load'. But it isn't. Unfortunately, what happens is that anaconda
doesn't appear to look where it's told, it therefore doesn't keep track
of my special 3ware drivers and in the end, doesn't rebuild the initrd
image needed by the smp kernel that gets loaded when I finally boot
drectly from the HDD.

Hi John,

is the image of your driverdisk on the root of your CD (hda) and called
dd.img? As parameter mostly --type=vfat or ext2, which depends on the
format of the dd.img, not the root-fs.

That's at least my understanding, I'm not using it yet, could be coming
later this week. Please keep me informed (on this list of course) with
your successes - or not.

Goodluck,
Niels

Ni Niels,

The driver disk contents are indeed at the root (/) of the DVD (hda) but as individual files, not as a single diskette filesystem image called dd.img. This is why I used --type=iso9660 in my driverdisk statement. However, I see what you are suggesting so I'll give it a try and report back ! Thanks for the insight.

Can I ask what makes you think that the name of this image should be dd.img ? Is it that I have perhaps misundstood some instruction somewhere ?

Best Regards,
John