Re: Re-mastering FedoraCore5

On Mon, 2006-07-10 at 20:13 +0530, Krishnan N wrote:

>   Hi all!!!
>
> My objective is to Re-master Fedora Core 5 into a single CD.... am
> pretty much new to Linux... I have about a weeks time to accomplish
> this...  will be great if you can guide me on where to start off &
> provide me with a couple of links that could help...

Given that Fedora Core 5 will not fit onto a single CD, I think
achieving your goal would probably require that you invent some new
compression technology that is head and shoulders above the compression
that RPM already does.  In short, it is probably not achievable within a
week's time.  (And may not be theoretically achievable at all.)

Are you interested in making a single DVD instead?  Are you interested
in re-mastering a subset of FC 5 (less than 650 MB worth of stuff) into
a single-CD image?  (For instance, you might want to leave out the
source code and just install the executables.  If you're providing an
appliance based on Linux (as we do here at Mazu), then you can also
leave out much of the online documentation.)

As a first step, I would encourage you to decide which RPM packages you
will want to install.  Then total up their package sizes (the file size
of the ".rpm" file).  (Note that this is not the same as the "Size:"
field that you'll get by running commands such as "rpm -q -i .)  That
total, plus a bit more for overhead, is the size of the distribution
medium you'll need.

--Steven