Re: anaconda crash on driverdisk

anaconda-devel-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx wrote on 07/04/2006 03:13:29 AM:

> I am trying to install RHEL4U2 on a hardware RAID volume. The driver
> disk is added into RH installer's initrd as dd.img in the root. A
> customized ks.cfg is also integrated into the initrd. This is to
> ensure that RedHat installer starts off and installs RHEL on the
> RAID volume automatically. By default, RHEL doesn't recognize this

I'm guessing you're doing a CD based kickstart?  Either way, it is
completely unecessary to roll a custom initrd for a kickstart file. Either
put it on a directory on the CD, or make it available via nfs or http on
the network.

> voulme, additional drivers (present in dd.img) are required. The
> idea is to automate the installation process.
>
> I added the following line to ks.cfg file:
>
> driverdisk --source=file://dd.img --type=ext2

Reading straight from the RHEL4 sysadmin guide:

"""Driverdisk (optional)

    Driver diskettes can be used during kickstart installations. You must
copy the driver diskettes's contents to the root directory of a partition
on the system's hard drive. Then you must use the driverdisk command to
tell the installation program where to look for the driver disk.

    driverdisk <partition> [--type=<fstype>]

    Alternatively, a network location can be specified for the driver
diskette:

    driverdisk --source=ftp://path/to/dd.img
    driverdisk --source=http://path/to/dd.img
    driverdisk --source=nfs:host:/path/to/img

    <partition>

        Partition containing the driver disk.
    --type=

        File system type (for example, vfat or ext2)."""

Where are you putting the driver disk?  Why not make it available on the
network along with the kickstart file?

> However, on reboot, anaconda loader crashes with signal 11.
>
> The last message on console 3 was:
> * found /dd.img, loading drivers
> * mntloop loop6 on /tmp/drivers as /dd.img fd is 10

Have you tried mounting the dd.img manually to make sure it's valid?

James