Re: Detecting network failure

Lazarev, Roman wrote:
Steve,

I have automated generation of the bootdisk.img, in a way where it takes
params from CGI, builds new ks.cfg based on params, and then stuffs it
into initrd (rdstuff). It's the attached to the system through virtual
media. The process takes about 1 minute to the server booting floppy,
but it's too much time. I was just testing a new piece of equipment that
came in and the server has 4 network ifaces and has feeds to 3 subnets.
I didn't know which iface was eth0 which eth3 I also didn't know what
subnet is associated with which nic. Yes it does sound strange but it
does happen.

Is plugging the interfaces all into the one network impractical?

For booting, I suggest a network boot - you don't need a floppy, and there's no need either for an imbedded ks file, there are several alternatives including http (where you can use CGI or PHP to generate the file).

Boot CDs are quite good too, esp of you can spit it out and it won't reload.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait