Re: Ideas for some changes...

On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 13:57 -0600, Philip Prindeville wrote:
> Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 11:34 -0600, Philip Prindeville wrote:
> >> Well, I figured out that one of my issues was that the --isUtc option to
> >> timezone had been replaced with --utc (which I've not yet found documented)
> >> and that it wasn't backward compatible (even though things like the "yes"
> >> argument to "zerombr" are non-fatal warnings).  Hmmm.
> >>

> > In specific cases like this, if you file bugs against pykickstart, Chris
> > is quick about fixing them ;)
> >
> >> For instance, on "network", can you specify this command multiple times,
> >> as in:
> >>
> >> network --bootproto=dhcp --device=eth0 --onboot=on
> >> network --bootproto=dhcp --device=ath0 --onboot=off
> >>
> >> for a laptop with both wired and wireless interfaces?
> >
> > That used to work.  Note that it starts to be a little bit less relevant
> > as we move towards a world using NetworkManager.
>
> I'm thinking that in the case where you're installing to a barebones
> headless system (like an EPIA with an Ethernet and a wireless interface,
> or other embedded device or server) that NetworkManager might be
> irrelevant.

NetworkManager should (long-term) be equally relevant for handling *all*
network connectivity.  Having multiple methods of network configuration
is the path to madness.

> Why did it stop working?

AFAIK, it still does.  If it doesn't, it's a bug as a result of the
refactoring of the kickstart code in FC5.

> >> Another thing I was thinking about was being able to perform simple edits
> >> of the contents of /etc/sysconfig files.  I've written the following
> >> script to give an example of this.  It has drawbacks, like not supporting
> >> subdirectories, but that's easily fixed...
> >>
> > This is pretty trivially done with sed in %post... I don't see a need to
> > further complicate the parameters which are already there.  Every new
> > command adds an increased testing burden and the amount of things that
> > people want to do is infinite.  Which is why there is the infinite
> > flexibility of %post available.
>
> Hmmm...  Ok, how about coming up with Anaconda helper scripts then
> and adding them to the release?
>
> I have a script, for instance, that tickles the right options for creating
> printers via CUPS using the lpadmin interface, which was non-trivial
> to discover and isn't very well documented.  It might be something that
> could be useful to have in a generic toolkit.

I think the way to go here is actually continuing to put more content on
the wiki[1] on the kickstart snippets page[2] and ensuring the docs in
the package and for kickstart have a pointer to there.  As I really
don't want to be in the business of maintaining a lot of little helper
scripts

Jeremy

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda
[2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KickstartSnippets