Re: Mounting half of a swraid mirror

Once upon a time, Peter Jones <pjones@xxxxxxxxxx> said:
> On Sat, 2006-02-18 at 12:08 -0600, Chris Adams wrote:
> > I'm looking at how installs from local hard disk are handled (looking at
> > the FC rawhide anaconda).  It looks like the mount is done as ext2 or
> > vfat, read-only in either case.  Does ext2 read-only mean _really_
> > read-only?  Is it safe to use a partition that is really half of a Linux
> > software RAID mirror (without causing the mirror to get out of sync)?
>
> Yes -- but keep in mind that you can't really mount a modern ext3
> filesystem as ext2 anyway.

A cleanly shut down ext3 won't mount cleanly read-only as ext2 anymore?
Since when?  I just tried it and it worked.  What doesn't work about it?

If that's the case, are hard drive installs going to be removed?  I'm
not going to create a VFAT partition just for that.  They are already
pretty limited since there's no support for LVM or software RAID (0 or
5).  If you can't mount an ext3 as ext2 then hard drive installs are
going to be nearly useless (since anaconda tries only ext2 and vfat).
--
Chris Adams <cmadams@xxxxxxxxxx>