Re: Virtual consoles, Anaconda and the Macs

On Sat, 2006-02-11 at 17:51 +0800, John Summerfied wrote:

> > Powerbook do you have (what's listed in compatible in OF)
>
> The frunt, under the screen says "Powerbook G4." It's a 17" machine,
> still current I think. There's no additional useful info behind the
> battery (unless you want the serial number).
>
> OF says, "Apple Powerbook 5,1 1.4.2f1 BootROM nuilt on 02/18/03 at 14:40:21

Yeah that's what I wanted.

> I'm not going to swear up and down that I did exactly that before,
> because the evidence is now against me. However, I certainly _did_ try
> the fn key in some combinations after your previous email. After I
> unplugged everything, inspected its insides, tried another powerbook
> (didn't even want to boot off the LAN), put it back together, checked
> its firmware etc etc it now does what it should. One thing I did do
> different: at yaboot, I said "linux lang=en"
>
> I can agree on "stupid user" if you agree to "insufficent
> documentation." Ok?

Sounds fair.  It's probably something I do just instinctively on that
system.  I'll conceed that it's not necessarily obvious.

> Now, I can what the real problem is, but not (yet) its resolution.
>
> oh yes I can: corrupted stage2 image.

I'm glad you've managed to work that out.

> Thanks for your forbearance; should I report a bug re documentation?

Yes probably want to get it added to the Install Guide - here's how to
contribute:

http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject

Also the release notes PPC beat could be updated:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Beats/ArchSpecific/PPC

You probably want to hurry as it's close to freeze.

It's probably only the case for mac keyboards which have the fn key and
greyed out f# keys (by default they do sound, brightness, etc), which
would be iBooks and PowerBooks.  Not sure about older models such as the
Lombard.  Just make that clear in the text.

Paul