Re: Setting duplex/speed in anaconda

On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 15:53:35 +0100 (CET)
Dag Wieers [Dag] wrote:

Dag> On Wed, 8 Feb 2006, Dag Wieers wrote:
Dag>
Dag> > I was using RHEL3 in rescue mode and noticed ethtool and mii-tool are both
Dag> > missing. I have to recover something over the network (which is 8GB big)
Dag> > and with the wrong 100Mbps half duplex settings it will take 15 hours :)
Dag> >
Dag> > Soà I was wondering if there is a way from a shell or functionality from
Dag> > anaconda) to change the interface characteristics. ethtool/mii-tool kind
Dag> > of functionality.
Dag> >
Dag> > The rhpl package includes a ethtool module that would be very useful to
Dag> > have somewhere in anaconda (so that it can be used from kickstart or on
Dag> > the commandline, using python).
Dag> >
Dag> > Or is there some other way that I couldn't figure out, this can be done ?
Dag>
Dag> I forgot to mention that I'm not looking for providing module options to
Dag> anaconda, but a generic way to set any (supported) interface. In this case
Dag> I'm reluctant to reboot and figure out how to do that for a rescue boot.
Dag>
Dag> If this functionality is not available on RHEL3, would it be useful to add
Dag> a feature enhancement request to bugzilla ?

I believe you precised this because of my previous post ("loader and module options")
but the response I had from jeremy is exactly what you are looking for: Speed
and Duplex can directly be passed to the loader and will be set using the ETHTOOL
ioctls and not module options.

This option is available in RHEL3U5 (at least).

--
Alain