Re: Include sshd in install?

On Thu, 2005-12-08 at 14:44 -0500, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-12-08 at 14:31 -0500, Brian Long wrote:
> > Have you ever considered wrapping sshd into the install image so remote
> > debugging can be performed on systems that don't support VNC?
>
> How can a system "not support VNC"?  And what sort of debugging are you
> trying to do?

For example, kickstarting a Sun V20z via console=ttyS0 (serial redirect
over SSH).  I'd like to know when the F3 and F4 VT's have errors and be
able to track those errors.  Unfortunately, all the stuff output to F3
and F4 are not saved in files in /tmp, so I cannot save them in %post
(like I save other files in /tmp).

> sshd is very heavy-weight and would add a lot of complication to the
> statically linked, minimal requirement first stage (where it would have
> to be).  Note that there is currently telnet support, but I'm not sure
> if it accomplishes what you want.

Understood.  The cpqlinux site documents setting up /dev/vsc nodes so
you can cat /dev/vsc3 and see what was displayed to tty3.  This is the
type of functionality I would like to see when doing serial-based
installs on remotely managed systems where I cannot stand in front of a
monitor.

Right now, the install.log.syslog file saved in /root is pretty sparse.
Logging more data into that file when things fail would be useful.  For
example, if I kickstart a machine with %packages --nobase and specify
selinux --disabled, Anaconda does not complain that /usr/sbin/lokkit
does not exist (part of system-config-security-level-tui).  This means
selinux is still enabled.

Ideally, Anaconda would either automatically pull in its own
dependencies if they're missing from %packages or it would complain
loudly (not just in the F4 window)  :)

/Brian/
--
       Brian Long                      |         |           |
       IT Data Center Systems          |       .|||.       .|||.