Re: Anaconda, grub and XFS

Eric Sandeen wrote:
Jeremy Katz wrote:

Yes, but it's a hack that was added at the explicit request of the XFS
developers with a "this will fix the problems".  And having to
constantly change it because they don't want to have the same semantics
as all of the other filesystems which are even pseudo-supported is a
waste of time.

Jeremy, I do apologize for the previous workaround which ... didn't work.

But I have to take issue with the "semantics" you mentioned. Nothing in the linux kernel guarantees that the block device address space will be coherent with the filesystem address space - so what grub is trying to do here (write through the filesystem, read back via the block device with fs still mounted) is fundamentally broken.

ext2 seems less prone to problems, I'm not sure why. But there is no guarantee or mechanism in the kernel to make what grub is doing bulletproof. (last I looked there were lots of wishful "syncs" in the grub code, along with comments that did not inspire confidence!)

So, if as Eric says, the previous workaround doesn't work, can we have the remount workaround (that works) instead?

Thanks

James Pearson