Re: Apples and snakes

Peter Jones wrote:
On Thu, 2005-09-22 at 11:05 +0800, John Summerfied wrote:

A natural extension of using DHCP and PXE to get to a kickstart
install is to follow RFC2489 to get a DHCP option number assigned.
This would give anaconda a reserved place to get the ks.cfg location
from the DHCP server without overloading option 67 or the bootfile;

That avoids possible confusion. Maybe better is this:
 option vendor-encapsulated-options string;

      The vendor-encapsulated-options option can contain either a  sin-
      gle  vendor-specific  value or one or more vendor-specific subop-
      tions.

which does not require special registration.

That's fine, until somebody else decides they want to use the same
string without knowing that anaconda will do something with it.

(I know it seems unlikely, but stranger things happen all the time.)

If someone else claims to be anaconda, then all bets are off. Anaconda's interpretation _only_ applies in the particular circumstance that vendor-class-identifier is equal to (or contains if we want to differentiate between versions of anaconda) the string "anaconda."

It might be prudent to change that to "redhat-anaconda" to distinguish it from Progeny's version, Point Clark Network's version etc.

I wouldn't want to see this committed to the tree until it's been
properly assigned.  That's not to say I wouldn't be happy to review any
patches to handle it.

The vendor-class-identifier field is provided for vendors to say "my rules apply." I don't see that this is a real problem.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait