Re: Apples and snakes

Jeremy Katz wrote:
On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 11:32 +0800, John Summerfied wrote:

Jeremy Katz wrote:

On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 08:54 +0800, John Summerfied wrote:

Ah yes, but my proposal allows booting a standard just-bought-from-redhat CD and booting it, automatically fetching a ks file if Anaconda can find one, without one needing to specify its existance in any syslinux, yaboot or other boot tool's config file.

Unfortunately, this would not be the desired behavior of other people.
So as it stands, we're going to stick to requiring the kickstart config
to be specified.

What problems do you see?

A lot of PXE setups are set up such that the filename of pxelinux is
always given out.  So by always following that, we'd end up grabbing a
garbage file which could then end up having less than desired effects.

I've already dealt with that one: Anaconda should recognize a pxelinux file (or other binary for that matter) and silently ignore ot.

While the class based and dhcp identifier stuff is nice, I'd venture a
guess that most people aren't actually using it and I'm sure there are a
number of commonly used dhcp servers out there that really don't support
it.

They don't _have_ to use it if Anaconda supports it. If Anaconda supports it, they _can_ use it.

AFAIK RH/Fedora only documents network installs from RH/Fedora servers, and those have ISC DHCPD 3 so there's no problem there. DHCPD 3 also ships with Debian, another considerable base of Linux users, so those don't have a problem either.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait