Re: Apples and snakes

Paul Nasrat wrote:
On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 08:54 +0800, John Summerfied wrote:

Paul Nasrat wrote:

On Tue, 2005-09-20 at 21:50 +0800, John Summerfied wrote:

I've been playing round with a Mac or two, discovering how to do network installs on them.

Since network-booting Macs is under-documented I've been doing (aside

from extended googling) much spying on network traffic.

Hmm, it's all IEEE1275 obp-tftp stuff.

I've seen the term "obp-tftp" but not been able to assign a meaning to "obp." I've now got a Google search to browse.

obp-tftp is the package (see IEEE1275) that OpenFirmware  uses for
netbooting

http://playground.sun.com/1275/practice/obp-tftp/tftp0_5d.html

Basically cards that support the word open will use obp-tftp for the
backend protocol stuff.

I eventually decided "ofb" means "open firmware boot."

I've also found a good discussion of the DHCP options and a website to generate bits here http://mike.passwall.com/macnc/

Does boot enet:, not work for you?

That finds /Mac/yaboot and not /Mac/yaboot.conf - just like holding "n" down.

Odd that works for me fine. Could you build a yaboot with DEBUG=1 in the
Makefile and personally mail me the full details of a boot in both the
fail and success cases.  For your convenience - you should be able to
use telnet to log this more easily:
Is this the OF telnet package?

I don't have a Linux on ppc: if it builds on OS X then I can. I'll try shortly. If I reply directly, it will be from a different address.

I think the fact I have everything in /Mac is crucial. I symlinked (didn't seem to work) then copied yaboot.conf to / and it didn't seem to work.

Then I pressed "enter" and it booted Anaconda.

So, it seems that unless I come up in OF, the screen isn't initialised.

btw I downloaded the latest binary (1.3.13) from penguinppc. There is no version in testing, and apparently no new versions to surface until 2.0 is ready and that seems some time away.

It fails in the same manner.

http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn2004.html

I'm printing it to read it.

--