Re: PATCH - Optimization to isomd5sum media check

On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 11:38:47AM -0400, Dustin kirkland wrote:
> On 3/25/05, Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha <strange@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I like it! Just one question: why aren't you using the intermediate
> > values of the full MD5?
>
> I've worked with this a little more, taking Luciano's suggestion to
> use the running context rather than maintaining a separate fragmd5ctx.
>  I have it working (attached), but there's a side effect of doing it
> this way.
>
> This version calls MD5_Final() on the md5ctx variable periodically (I
> assume that's what you meant--that's the only way I can see to
> actually extract a sum string out of a context variable).  Each call
> to this function will fill a string with an md5 sum, but it also
> modifies the md5ctx value in the process.  This ultimately results in
> a different md5 sum of the whole disc when compared to the original
> method where MD5_Final() is only called at the very end of the
> computing.

Yes, MD5_Final destroys the md5ctx. I imagined MD5 had some function to
get the value without destroying the information. Or at the very least
an EVP_MD_CTX_copy alike.

One option is to create a copy of the md5ctx and do the MD5_Final on
that one.

But I don't have the time to try that myself, sorry..

Regards,
Luciano Rocha