Re: anaconda with lvm default

On Sat, Mar 12, 2005 at 02:54:05AM +1300, Michael Honeyfield wrote:

> > On Sat, Mar 12, 2005 at 02:49:45AM +1300, Michael Honeyfield wrote:
> > > I am just curious the reasoning behind using lvm as the default
> > > partitioning method in the anaconda version shipped with FC3.
> >
> > LVM is good.
>
> On a desktop PC with a single disk? Makes little sense.

Oh, it makes a lot of sense. To my usual utilization of a desktop
system, at least.

> Not disputing the fact that lvm is good or bad, asking for the reasoning to making it the default partitioning method.

It makes fixed partitioning go away, making it easy to change partitions
on the fly without having to reboot systems and/or use a rescue disc.

Any *problem* with it that may make it undesirable to a desktop system?

lmf

PS: this is not an authoritative answer on the reasons if using lvm by
default. I don't know exactly. I believe it has to do with no static
partitions and support for ext3 online resizing on the kernel.