Re: Updating HOWTO

On Sat, 2005-02-19 at 17:37 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> >Yes, but a feel a bit strange about editing stuff that others have created.  I
> >have sent email to the individuals who seem to be the most active to see what
> >their response will be.
>
> that's the glory of a wiki - if they don't like your changes - they can
> roll them back :)
> -sv

Hi - I'm one of the guys that was working on that Twiki project ...

I just finished replying to an email that Gene had sent me and then saw
that the topic was being discussed here on the mailing list too.

Here is a snippet of what I sent to Gene ...

---snip---

Once upon a time around the release of FC1 the three of us tried getting
something together to help people out with the process of
rebuilding/recreating custom FC projects. We got a good start on the
project but with time and other priorities - the project has since
fallen into that large open-source project pit that is marked off with
yellow tape and a large sign that says 'ENTER AT OWN RISK - UNMAINTAINED
WORK AHEAD'.

Unfortunately due in part to a poorly organised Fedora documentation
team at the time - and many personal changes in our lives, ie. Alex and
Forrest scored nice new jobs :), the project was never taken on by the
Fedora documentation project and so is now rotting in that
aforementioned pit.

I don't believe that any of us are currently working with Anaconda at
the moment so it is hard to find the motivation to maintain something
that is no longer relevant in our lives.

Well that's about it. If anything, I had a great time working on the
project and meeting some bright minds, but I have to admit that its time
is over. As I said - feel free to take anything you like from the
project - none of it is covered by any legal crap - and if we knew how
to do go about it - I'm sure we would have made it available under the
GPL.

---snip---

So I wouldn't count on the Twiki as a relevant source of information any
longer but anyone can do with it what they wish - but I would suggest
starting from scratch on a new platform wouldn't be such a bad idea -
maybe something official in the Fedora Doc Project?

Hope that clears some things up - good luck!

pantz