Re: disk initialization

On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 06:27:09PM -0500, Gene Czarcinski wrote:

> At one time, there was an option to run badblocks when formatting a
> partition during installation.  Is there a reason that it was
> dropped?  Is there some way it can be added back in?

Mostly because modern hard drives have internal management of bad
blocks.  Space is reserved a mapping is used to avoid bad blocks.  The
bad blocks check was really slow and rarely gave useful output to the user.

> It just occurred to me that this may be available under "expert"
> mode.  If it is, good; otherwise, could it be added to expert mode?

No, the code is commented out in iw/partition_dialog_gui.py.  Look at
the bottom of the file.  Also see textw/partition_text.py and look for
"showbad = 0".

The backend stuff is still intact in fsset.py, so putting the code
back and building an updates disk would re-enable the code -- no idea
if it still works.

Cheers,

Matt
--