RE: Diagnosing Anaconda Installation 'stalls' over a LAN

> I have noticed that Anaconda may stall when installing RPMs over a
> LAN connected to a hub. What sort of problems can cause Anaconda to
> timeout completely?
>
> How can I diagnose these problems?

Not that this is your problem you are experiencing, but anaconda depends
on rpm to a great degree so things that would cause rpm to stall would
cause anaconda to stall.
There are two "general" cases that I have seen rpm stall (though not
necessarily in anaconda).  One is an rpmdb lockup, the other is a
scriptlet lockup (much more rarer btw).  In both cases if you ran strace
against rpm you would see rpm waiting on a futex (or rather it is in the
FUTEX syscall).   You can determine which one by running gdb against rpm
and getting a backtrace.  In the scriptlet lockup you have passed
through runScript() in the stack at one point, with db lockups your into
the db code.

That said neither of these may be your lockup.

Cheers...james