Re: What do the various parts (genhdlist, pkgorder etc) really do ?

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 20:53:49 -0500, Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 05:45:04PM -0800, richard offer wrote:
> > Can yum build a bootable CD containing updates/additions?
>
> I suppose you could if you really wanted to.
>
> But isn't a live update even more desirable in most cases?

I'm not most cases :-)

> Why _make_ people
> reboot their computers?

Because I'm installing new kernels, and low level system libraries
(potentially glibc). I've already accepted that I'm going to need to
modify anaconda to add extra screens, I just don't want to have to
build the 6 CDs that don't change.

As a product, I need an installation CD. If I can cut down the need to
build a complete updated distribution, I can spend the resources on
making the product work on other distributions.

If you don't have network access (for one of any number of reasons),
on-line updates sort of suck, particularly if it means people can't
get your product in the first place...

richard.

richard offer @ gmail                   "Specialization is for insects"