Re: DHCP client in anaconda

Hao Luo wrote:
Hi,

I have being devoted to investigating linux network installation via UUID(Universal Unique Identifier), unique for each IBM xSeries server.

As I know, syslinux 2.07 has provided support of sending a dhcp request containing UUID infomation, which can be recogonized by dhcpd3.0. Do you have any idea of how to make dhcp client in anaconda send request with additional UUID infomation.

Hao,

I found your question interesting so I poked around some. It looks like Anaconda uses pump and not a dhcpclient. I cannot tell, if pump would allow you to retrieve a UUID. isys.py makes a call to isys.c via pumpnetdevice. You would want to look at /usr/include/pump.h for the struct pumpNetIntf definition. Files net.c and isys.c work with the information returned from pump. At this late hour it all looks automagically to me. I believe you will have to customize Anaconda to obtain your desired functionality. It looks like only part of the dhcp information is used in Anaconda. There are a couple of items for S390 in pumpNetIntf. I don't know if that is the same as xSeries.

Have fun.

Greg