Using old anaconda-runtime to build distribution?

I just tried building a customised version of the fedora core 3 distribution. Seemed to work all right, but (networked) upgrade installation failed when the actual package update was about to start, without any real error messages (just "installation failure".)

The thing is, I used a fairly old anaconda-runtime, version 9.0-4, because I don't actually have a Fedora Core 3 system yet; I thought I might switch directly to the customised distro... Is this something that's known not to work? I mean, have the image formats changed or anything?

- Toralf