From: "Greg Morgan" <drkludge@xxxxxxx>
To: "Sameer Kamat" <sameer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <anaconda-devel-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, October 15, 2004 1:47 AM
Subject: Re: fonts on boot cd

Sameer Kamat wrote:
> Hello,
>       Would anyone please let me know how the font paths are resolved on
the
> boot
> CD? I am trying to create a custom CD and have my own motif app run once
the
> X server has started, but I am facing some font issues with
> adobe-times-normal-*.
>
> What is the recommended way to add new fonts or configure fonts on the
boot
> cd
> in stage2.img?

Follow the instructions from
http://rau.homedns.org/twiki/bin/view/Anaconda/AnacondaDocumentationProject
and copy your CDs or ISOs to a working directory.   You can then mount
each of the image files and make your modifications.  For example, I
mounted the FC2 ISO in /mnt/cdrom just to poke around with
mount -t iso9660 FC2-i386-disc1.iso /mnt/cdrom.
You will want your files in a regular directory.  Please adjust these
instructions accordingly.  Go into /mnt/cdrom/Fedora/base/ directory.
You will find
-rw-r--r--  2 root root 18350080 May 13 02:25 hdstg2.img
-rw-r--r--  2 root root 18411520 May 13 02:25 netstg2.img
-rw-r--r--  2 root root 75182080 May 13 02:26 stage2.img
You can then mount each of these files to add your fonts.  For example
mount stage2.img /mnt/floppy
Your /etc/mtab will an entry similar to this one:
more /etc/mtab
/mnt/cdrom/Fedora/base/stage2.img /mnt/floppy cramfs ro,loop=/dev/loop1 0 0
Think of each img file as a boot floppy.  The img file is a mountable
file system as fs in cramfs implies.  Additionally, treat each of these
*img files as a linux installation and perform your magic.
Depending on your level of distribution, don't forget that your users
may use any of these *img files here or in /mnt/cdrom/Fedora/images
including the boot.iso.  Each one of these files will have an
/mnt/floppy/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/ directory.  I forget all the tools,
but I believe you would add your font(s) and rebuild the font* files.
Google on fonts.dir and fonts.scale.
pwd
/mnt/floppy/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1
ls -l fonts*
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 14700 Dec 31  1969 fonts.cache-1
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 10631 Dec 31  1969 fonts.dir
-r--r--r--  1 root root 10631 Dec 31  1969 fonts.scale
You will also want to visit the /mnt/floppy/etc/fonts directory.

Perform the other steps in the
http://rau.homedns.org/twiki/bin/view/Anaconda/AnacondaDocumentationProject
documentation to add custom packages, etc.  Finally make the ISOs and
distribute.

I hope this gets you started in the right direction.

Greg