Re: customizing anaconda

BhaskerReddy Amireddy wrote:
Hello all,

Where does this anaconda programs sits when I put Redhat CD ONE in to CDROM.
You may want to look at these links http://rau.homedns.org/twiki/bin/view/Anaconda/Introduction http://rau.homedns.org/twiki/bin/view/Anaconda/AnacondaDocumentationProject.

Initial loader is written in C it needs some OS to run So How it identifies Hardware first?

The PC BIOS is a single task piece of software whereas the Linux kernel is multi task. (The first amusing thing I found out about Linux is that you could see the history of a session with the shift-page up key combination. In addition, you can use Alt-f1 to Alt-f6 key combinations to have multiple console sessions. Compare this with MSDos that allows just one and no scrolling, etc.) However, the PC BIOS serves the purpose of identifying the boot sector of the first boot device. Syslinux and in this case isolinux http://syslinux.zytor.com/ control the boot sector on the media. isolinux has a control file to tell it where to find the kernel on the media and then uses that information to load the kernel. The kernel is a multitasking piece of software and replaces all of the PC BIOS single-task functions. The kernel detects the hardware. So, isolinux then loads the kernel that then loads the Initial loader that is written in C. I believe part of the initial loader you are talking about also has many of the kudzu detail hardware detecting routines. Kudzu organizes the kernel detected hardware. After the C program does all of its work, it then launches the Python script anaconda. The Python libraries written by both Python.org and Red Hat take over and do the rest. Hopefully, this provides a quick high level rundown of the boot process. It's guaranteed to be as accurate as I understand the process. ;-)

Greg