Re: buildinstall error, is it fatal?

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 11:46:18 -0700, Hal Wine <hal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mike Honeyfield wrote, around 10/05/2004 11:32 AM:
> > On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 08:17:37 -0700, Hal Wine <hal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > I am using a fairly modifed version of anaconda version 7.3. Yes I
> > know its old, but thats what we are using :)
>
> Right, that's of the same vintage as RHEL 2.1, so you may be seeing the
> same problem.

Aaah I see. Good to hear I may not be alone in this matter :)

> >>fwiw, with RHEL 2.1, we experienced intermitant failures of the sort
> >>you're reporting. Retrying (as many as 4 times) would eventually produce
> >>a working image.
> >

> > Yeah, I have tried repeatedly. I did not count them, so I will try
> > your suggestion.
>
> Actually, I set the loop to be up to 10, and it usually completed in (at
> most) 4 when it had problems. Often on the 2nd.
>
> fwiw, I used a heuristic of whether the ${anacondaKernelVersion}BOOT/
> directory existed at the end of the pass. If it did, I had a good iso:
>    temp=$(mktemp -d /tmp/$prog.$(id -un).XXXXXX)
>    anacondaKernelVersion=$(grep ^kernel-BOOT rpmlist-anaconda |
>       sed 's/kernel-BOOT-\(.*\).i386.rpm/\1/')
>    # it all worked heuristic:
>    [ $ec -eq 0 -a -d $temp/${anacondaKernelVersion}BOOT ]
>    ec=$?

I am away at the moment (some vaction.. taking the laptop with me..
haha), So when I return later this week I will do the above and keep
my fingers crossed

> >>...I never tracked it down, and it
> >>seems to not happen under ES3....
> >

> > Are you saying that buildinstall fucntions differently under the
> > anaconda version in ESver3 ?
>
> It does roughly the same thing, but seems to have a few bugs/errors
> fixed. ES3 does use isolinux, so you don't have to cram drivers into
> floppy sized images. :)  Moving is not trivial, as the comps file
> morphed into comps.xml with tons more metadata....

I am up for punishment, I might download the tar ball of anaconda 10
and take a poke around.

Thanks!

Mike