Re: RHEL 3 AMD64 ethX ordering

On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 11:40:12AM -0400, Brian Long wrote:
> That's a fine work-around for already installed systems, but what about
> during kickstart?

During kickstart, I use ksdevice=link as a boot paramater, so
kickstart uses the (first) NIC that's plugged in to as switch.

After kickstart, the way to keep ethX->device mapping consistent is to
use nameif and /etc/mactab.

> Same OS, Same hardware, different arch shouldn't mean eth0 and eth1 get
> swapped.  Either i686 and x86_64 should both use ACPI for enumeration or
> neither should; this would maintain consistency.

RHEL 3 i686 doesn't use ACPI for enumeration.  It wasn't stable enough
when RHEL3 was released.  For x86_64, ACPI was specified by the
architecture as being the *only* way to get that information.  Thus
RHEL3 x86_64 *had* to use ACPI.  But that's no reason to go and change
the way RHEL3 works for existing i686 users.  That's one of the
tenants of the RHEL product line - if it ain't broke, don't fix it,
but you can change it in the next major release (not an Update).

RHEL4, now in public beta, should be consistent in its use of ACPI for
both architectures.

Thanks,
Matt

--