Re: EDD disksigs for disks other than 0x80

On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 12:00:22PM -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-06-25 at 10:05 -0500, Matt Domsch wrote:
> > fdisk and parted presently always write zeros to the 4-byte signature
> > field at offset 0x1b8 in the MBR.  Dell's factory install tools will
> > write a unique signature to each BIOS-visible disk, so we're good
> > there.  Anaconda will need similar code.
>
> Well, for anaconda to do it the best thing is actually to get parted
> doing so.

Problem is, parted only knows about one disk at a time, not about all
the disks in a system.  You really need a small tool like eddsupport.c
could be which open()s' all disks, reads the MBR, verifies it's an
MSDOS label, generates new sigs for the non-unique disks, write()s
them, and is finished.

> I'd rather not have to have a weird hack in anaconda for this
> as it requires keeping track of things like what partition table type it
> is and only doing it if we're on MS-DOS.  Whereas parted already knows
> this when it goes to create a new partition table and we'd just need to
> update the initial MBR_BOOT_CODE it writes out (I'm guessing that's the
> bit that the signature is included in from quickly looking)

Parted could write some nonzero value there, with some limite
probablity of it being a duplicate (like, based on the current time or
something), but that's the best it can do without also reading all the
other disks.

Thanks,
Matt

--