Re: anaconda-d] Re: FC3 working anaconda todo

On Sat, 29 May 2004, Tom Diehl wrote:

> When I wrote the above I was thinking about this, which is from the
> dhcp-options man page:
>
> option ntp-servers ip-address [, ip-address...  ];

interesting -- not in mine.  does teh amn page for your dhcp
client indicate it can catch what the DHCP server pitches?

> > interested in tools to automate the generation of a well
> > formed ntp.conf (and friends) based on information handed out
> > from the DHCP server, but do not know of a mechanism for the
> > dhcp server to do it.
>
> I think that if you have the ntp servers and TZ that should be enough info for
> most installations. Am I missing something?

for a client, probably not, except that there is the ability
to do cryptograpgically secured time exchange, to avoid MitM
attacks (kerberos replay comes to mind), which needs some
configuring.

For a local athoritative peer, aliased IP, or a multi-homed
unit, sure -- netmasks to listen on, interfaces to listed on,
and so on

[herrold@ftp herrold]$ grep -v ^# /etc/ntp.conf | grep -v ^$
restrict 127.0.0.1
restrict 10.16.33.105
restrict 172.16.64.105
restrict 10.0.0.0 mask 255.0.0.0 notrust nomodify notrap
restrict 172.16.64.0 mask 255.240.0.0 notrust nomodify notrap
server                  204.87.183.6
server                216.27.190.202
server                128.4.40.12
server                198.147.37.140