Re: anaconda does not find root for upgrade

For everyone's reference purposes, here is the solution to my previous problem.
Thanks again to Forrest Taylor for spending a lot of time on this one...

Redhat Fedora Core 1 refused to UPGRADE from Redhat 9 as long as
smartbootmgr (SBM) was installed in MBR. Had to remove the SBM (use the
self-removal feature) before the upgrade would proceed. (Reinstall
afterwards, or let Grub be the main boot manager.)

What is the cause of the problem? Apparently the following: Anaconda
uses libparted.so (which is the library for /usr/sbin/parted).  Parted
is confused by the MBR when SBM is installed, although the partition
table itself clearly is ok (the system runs fine as rh-9.0).

Parted returns that the disk partition table (aka. "disk label") is of
type "loop". This is what happens when parted cannot find what it deems
to be a valid partition table. The disk is then perceived as a being
raw disk with no structure ("loop" presumably refers to a "loopback").
The installer then decides there is nothing to upgrade, and therefore
does not permit the upgrade option.

Reference: Smart boot manager
http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/