Future Anaconda Developments

So... Anaconda is evolving nicely. It looks great, it runs on many
architectures, it's very easy to extend, it's very clean, what more can
anyone want? Right? Wrong! We should look in the future, there are
features that we've seen in other distros which are so appreciated. I'd
like to high-light two of them:

1) Multiple OS. Debian GNU system can run not only on top of Linux but
also on top of HURD and FreeBSD and others, using glibc and BSD-libc.
This should be interesting: Attempting to package the FreeBSD/HURD
kernel as an rpm, creating a Fedora Core GNU/FreeBSD version. Although
not that useful (not at all actually), it would be nice to have Fedora
Core run under FreeBSD.

2) Compile with optimizations. Gentoo was the first one to introduce
this. Instead of coming with the /Fedora/RPMS directory, the
distribution could come only with /SRPMS, or both: if the user has
enough time and patience, he can recompile the system, if not, just
install the i386 binaries. The stage2.img could have also some minimal
(~80MBytes) system to include glibc and gcc and a few others, then start
recompiling packages with optimizations. Compile one, install-it, clean
the compile traces, depending on the settings, keep the compiled
packages after install, or remove them. A few extra macros could be
created for some new targets in rpmbuild (such as
Pentium3/Pentium3-unstable (-O3 and others) or something else), spec's
should be modified again, to include special arguments or over-rides
for new architectures, where the default optimized headers would not
work. Another advantage to this approach is that only a small part
(~200MBytes) would be architecture-dependent. The rest, could be used
also on other architectures. A serious issue here is solving the build
dependencies, provided that they are correctly recorded in the spec
files. Anaconda, for example, does not depend on py-xf86config and
parted, last time I checked, this is a binary package dep though,
nevermind this example.
I'll start to implement something like this in the near future, but a
lot of things should be changed before that (new targets for rpms).
Example targets for x86, but there are more:
i386
i586
i686
K6
K6-2
Athlon
AthlonXP
Pentium ]I[
Pentium IV
Each one of these could have a stable/unstable (bleeding-edge) macro.

Other issues:
I'm sure that this should belong to fedora-devel list, but I'm asking
here (yeah, /me lazy). Shouldn't the comps.xml in rawhide also contain
kde-libs? Because it doesn't. It has only kde-libs-devel.

Cheers,

Razvan VILT