Autoconfiguring /etc/X11/XF86Config at boot-time

Hi,

I am currently looking into developing a customised version of Anaconda
that would have to detect videocard, monitor, and mouse type for
creating a working /etc/X11/XF86Config, and then let the machine bootup
normally.

Basically, I would like to integrate Anaconda's ability to recognize and
configure hardware to allow X to start on a machine that already has
RedHat (or whatever other distro) installed. I need this because I am
not happy with how kudzu autodetects and configures X related hardware
... it has already messed up several XF86Config files in my home network
after a hardware upgrade.

I am not aware of any other way of starting a working (even minimal is
OK) X server after, for instance, a videocard upgrade.
I am completely new to Python, but after looking at some source files
(xserver.py, xsetup.py and some of the rhpl library), I would have
thought that writing a small driver program that uses those objects
would do the job.

Has this already been done before? Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance to all.

--
Kristian