Re: rebuilding anaconda-9.0-4 src

Alexander@Rau wrote:
1. Currently I am stuck at "repacked the anaconda sources (with the change)". Do I use the tar command for that (what options)? and in what folder /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/ (will it overwrite the old tar or shoud I delete the old tar file)? 2. Then I bzip2 it? 3. Then I buildrpm -ta it?

There are two ways to do this: patching or untar/tar. I prefer patching, so I'll explain it first.

First, install the src.rpm and build it with any patches already included:

rpm -ivh anaconda-9.0-4.src.rpm
cd /usr/src/redhat/SPEC
rpmbuild -bp anaconda.spec

Now, go to the BUILD directory and make an original copy of the source directory.

cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD
cp -a anaconda-9.0  anaconda-9.0.orig

Then go to the anaconda-9.0 directory and make any changes that you deem necessary. Once you are finished, make a patch of the differences between the two (make sure you are in the BUILD directory):

diff -urN anaconda-9.0.orig  anaconda-9.0 > ../SOURCES/my-changes.patch

Now edit the spec file and rebuild:

cd /usr/src/redhat/SPEC
gedit anaconda-9.0
  under Source: anaconda-%{PACKAGE_VERSION}.tar.bz2, add this line:
    Patch 1: my-changes.patch

  under %setup -q, add this line:
    %patch1 -p1

  under %changelog, add a few lines stating what changes you made.
  The first line should be date/name/email, the following lines
  should be about the changes that you made.

Save the file, and run:

rpmbuild -ba anaconda.spec

which will create a new src.rpm, as well as the binary i386.rpm files.

The second method involves untarring the source, retarring it and rebuilding the rpm:

cd /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES
tar xjvf anaconda-9.0.tar.bz2
<edit changes in anaconda-9.0/>
tar cjvf anaconda-9.0.tar.bz2 anaconda-9.0
cd /usr/src/redhat/SPEC
rpmbuild -ba anaconda.spec

This method is probably simpler for the newbie, but it lacks the porability of the patch method.

Forrest