Re: How to test out changes...

On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 20:08, Elijah P Newren wrote:
> Is the updates.img just a file created by mkcramfs?  (If not, how is it
> created?)  What should the directory structure of the updates.img
> filesystem be--just a bunch of python files in /, or should they be in a
> more well defined place such as /usr/lib/anaconda?

The updates.img is just an ext2 filesystem.  I tend to keep mine floppy
sized, but that's just out of habit.  Basically 'dd if=/dev/zero
of=/my/updates.img bs=1k count=1440 ; mke2fs -f /my/updates.img'.  As
far as directory structure, it's a flat directory of python files.

> What did you mean by "you can just start with loopback mounting an empty
> ext2fs"? My guess was that perhaps you mean mounting a loopback
> filesystem as read-write (is that even possible?) so that you could
> easily add several files, but I'm not really sure.

Yep, just 'mount -o loop /my/updates.img /mnt/mntpt' and you can then
write to the loopback image.

> The nfs mounted directory from which I installed merely contains the iso
> images for the first three CDs.  So do I simply create a RedHat/base/
> directory inside the directory that contains these isos and then stuff
> the updates.img file there, or will I need to make a full tree from the
> contents of the isos manually?

If you're using the ISO images, just drop the updates.img in the same
directory parallel to the ISO images.  You drop them in RedHat/base/ of
an exploded tree.

> Will do...that is, so long as I can verify that any patches I create
> actually work--at least for me.  :)

Sounds good.  Out of curiosity, what are you actually looking at? :)

Cheers,

Jeremy