Re: How to test out changes...

On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 00:46, Elijah Newren wrote:
> There's probably documentation for this somewhere, but I didn't know
> where to look (I found a couple dead links and some stuff that might be
> partially related but nothing solid--at least not that I understood well
> enough to determine if it was what I needed).  So, I'm asking here.

Bits and pieces have been written in many places

> There are a couple things I'd like to fix in the installer.  I've
> downloaded the src.rpm from rawhide as suggested at
> http://fedora.redhat.com/projects/anaconda-installer/.  I looked through
> some of the code and believe I've found what I need to fix the first
> bug.  My problem is that I need to test it out, but don't know quite how
> to do so.  Is there a guide on creating/modifying the Red Hat
> installation CDs so that I can test out a patched version of anaconda?

There are a few howtos out there for creating all new CD sets, but if
you're really wanting to test changes, that's not the easiest way to do
so.

The easiest thing to do is to use an updates.img to test your changes.
Just make an ext2 floppy and copy the python files which you're making
changes in to it.  If you're doing a CD install, boot with 'linux
updates' and provide the floppy when prompted.  If you're doing a
network install, it's even easier.  Just drop an image of the
updates.img (or you can just start with loopback mounting an empty
ext2fs, which is what I usually do) in the RedHat/base/ directory and it
will get loaded and used.

And if you have changes, the best way to ensure they don't get lost is
to put them in bugzilla.  Sending them here as well doesn't hurt,
because then there can be discussion around them, but posts to a mailing
list are easy for me to forget; if I forget about things in bugzilla, it
stays there in my face as a constant reminder ;)

Cheers,

Jeremy