Re: Ethernet Probe order?

On 15 Sep 2003, Brian Long wrote:

> Because the 100BaseT link might be the only one on your public network
> with access to Kickstart.  The GigE PCI card might be on a private VLAN
> to your Netapp storage  ;-)  Also, if you have 50+ machines with
> identical configs and you need to rekickstart them remotely without
> pulling the cards, you need to know the ordering.
>
> I appreciate Patrick's patch to the anaconda source and will investigate
> making this part of our server installation process.

Well, that was intended to be code just do illustrate how to do device
detection (with the help of lspci).  There is nothing that I can see which
is preventing the devices being detected in whatever order you want,
providing the devices use different drivers (if they use the same driver,
you'll need to change it instead).

I haven't gotten around to actually writing the code to change the
device order though.  Probably in the next month or so.

--Patrick.