Rebuilding comps and rpmdb RPMs

I'm experiencing a chicken'n'egg problem with several RPMs.

If I rebuild the comps and rpmdb RPMs after running

  genhdlist --withnumbers --fileorder ...

the installation fails stating that there was a problem with the
rpmdb RPM.  If I don't rebuild the comps and rpmdb RPMs then the
installation is successful but the comps and rpmdb RPMs don't
contain the correct information about the RPMs on the CD.  Exactly
how and when should I rebuild these RPMs?

I've searched the list archives and read several HOWTOs including

  http://tldp.org/HOWTO/RedHat-CD-HOWTO/
  http://www.linuxworks.com.au/redhat-installer-howto.html

I don't see any instructions on how and when these RPMs are rebuilt.

Any tips or pointers to relavent documentation would be greatly
appreciated.

--
Tim Moloney
ManTech Real-time Systems Laboratory