RE: restore boot block

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Fong Vang wrote:

Do not reply directly to me. _I_ read the list, and one copy is quite
enough.

> I tried wiping the first 446 bytes and bytes 511-512 with these commands:
>
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=446 count=1
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=1 skip=510 count=2
>
> I then did a reboot and PXE boot did not occur as expected.  The machine
> just sits there not knowing what to do.

I repartition drives like this, and it works every time. It's true I'm
not using kickstart, but this can be done in %pre - it's the first place
I ever tried it.

I've not read this thread at all closely (I tend to ignore q's asked in
more than one place), and I've long forgotten what PXE has to do with
it. However, this _does_ clobber the partion table and make the disk
unbootable (which is why I have the dd there), and it does leave me with
a valid partition table (constructed just the way I want it), still
unbootable until I get round to installing grub a few minutes later.

export BootPartition=25 RootPartition=''
function partition_disks()
{
#fdisk -l /dev/hda
dd if=/dev/zero count=1 of=/dev/hda