various anaconda observations

I spent the better part of the weekend pulling apart RH9.0 anaconda and
I jotted down some notes and I'm wondering if anyone else has taken a look
at some of these areas.

.  Why no graphical url/ftp installation?

   I noticed that there still is no way of doing a graphical ftp or http
based install.  The netstg1.img file has been renamed netstg2.img (which
makes a lot more sense) but there still is no provision for doing a
graphical network install except via nfs (and I guess this is since
it uses stage2.img).  There shouldn't be that many technical issues about
getting this to work correctly, so did it just fall off the radar at Red
Hat?

. Crosscompilation?

  I've been trying to get the loader to cross compile from RH7.2 for
RH9.0, but the Makefiles are a bit of a mess.  Has anyone else attempted
to do this?  For the most part I've just been unarchiving each of the
-devel-* packages which I need and building a RH9.0 cross compilation tree
(although I'm keeping each of the packages seperate and using explicit -I
and -L directives).  So far the only real hang-ups I've had that are the
gettext and bogl binaries are dynamically linked against the wrong glibc
so I pulled those apart and I was going to statically link them and put
them back in but haven't finished yet.  Oh, that and I'm still
building loader against libc and not dietlibc until I get everything working.
After a lot of Makefile-foo I ended up getting isys to compile with
dietlibc correctly and tested it out in a VM running 9.0 and it seemed to
work fine, so it'll probably only take me a bit longer to get loader
working as well (hopefully).

. Boot.iso/boot.img/bootnet.img/driver disks

I noticed that the boot.img/bootnet.img files were consolidated into one
file and there are now a couple of driver disk images which I guess
provide all of the network drivers.  I haven't ripped apart the new boot
image to see what drivers are in it by default, but I imagine I'll get
there in the next couple days.  I did like the boot.iso idea as I guess a
lot more people have CD-R's these days so it probably makes a lot more
sense than installing off of the floppies.  Did the driver disks end up
being the same as the old driver disks or is their format entirely new?
My biggest gripe about the old way in RH7.x was that it's extremely
difficult to keep track of each of the PCI ID files in each of the images.
It's really easy to accidentally drop support for a particular card
because the pci id gets removed from the wrong file.

That's it for now.  I'll keep on digging and see what else I come up with.

--Patrick.