Use of --start= and --end= with kickstart part option

We are using kickstart to setup s/w RAID 1 mirrors, and are currently in
the process of migrating to Phoebe and eventually will use the next
official RH release. Our previous kickstart approach was to have a %pre
script handle all disk partitioning and use the --onpart option. For some
reason, this approach seems to no longer work, (in the process of
documenting this issue and opening a bugzilla report, but I digress...), so
I have been considering alternative approaches. After looking through the
documentation and some preliminary testing I have a  question which I hope
someone on the list can answer.

The idea I was pursuing was to have the %pre script read and parse the
output from 'fdisk -l' and find the start and end cylinders for existing
application partitions which need to be preserved and calculate the start
and end for the desired size of other partitions. The issue with which I am
concerned, is that fdisk reports logical geometry for the disks, i.e. 2
identical disks are often reported with different geometry. So, my question
is:

- For start and end cylinders within a kickstart file, should the logical
geometry, such as what is reported by fdisk, be used or is there an
alternate source for disk geometry? If I use the logical information from
fdisk, will the resulting partitions be identical in size?

I have experimented with simply using the --ondisk and --size options for
creating the partitions, and the partitions created are not the exact same
size. Furthermore, this option alone is not sufficient because our
kickstart must preserve existing application partitions and their data, and
thus must control the exact location for these partitions.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. If anyone has an alternate
approach that is proven to work, by all means, send it my way ;-)

Thanks,
Robert Jackson
robert.jackson@xxxxxxxxxxx