Re: re[4]: adding e1000 module to installer

On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, Matthew Richards wrote:

> Adding the aforementioned device entries to the modules/pcitable and usr/share/hwdata/pcitable, and similar entries to usr/share/hwdata/pci.ids certainly helped. When I executed kudzu as follows:
>
> /mnt/sysimage/usr/sbin/kudzu -p
>
> the result included a correctly identified Intel Gigabit NIC, as follows:
>
> desc: "Intel Corp.| 82546EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller"
>
> This is certainly a direct result of the additions to the various PCI device tables. However, the e1000.o driver failed to load. I confirmed this by switching to VT3 and seeing an error message stating that the e1000.o driver load had failed.
>
> I suspect that the e1000.o driver that shipped with the RH7.3 anaconda does not support the Intel Gigabit NIC that I am trying to install, and this is why the driver fails to load.

Out of curiousity, which kernel was the driver compiled for?
Does the version number match between installer kernel and your driver?

Also out of curiousity, how are you testing these?  Are you setting up
kickstart where a server is holding the image and you're making
modification to it or you have anaconda running in a test mode or
something else?

Let me know,

Andrew Park

 CDFlab Systems Administrator                       www.cdf.toronto.edu