Re: re[2]: adding e1000 module to installer

Now that my memory has been jogged, these changes must be made in stage1 - yes,
I very well remember now!!  I distinctly recall the 'magic' something or other
message appearing on the blue transition screen as anaconda starts up, which
is the transition to stage2.  That said, I did the same thing you did :)  Went
after stage2 first!

When it worked, I think it was /tmp/modules.conf that had the e1000 entry in
it, as well as the module loaded.  Yes, this is all quite clear now.  I did
have to rebuild the relevant packages in stage1 - I believe it was initrd.img
that contained the stuff?  That part escapes me at the moment.

So basically, all of the device drivers (at least NIC drivers?) are detected
in stage1.  I think I left my changes in stage2 as well, didn't hurt anything.

And I also tried using the pcitable from the hwdata rpm if I recall properly.

Just a little advice - look into the 8.0 stuff.  It is really simple with
isolinux now.  I have the proper cdrecord options too:

(code snippet)
  system("/usr/bin/mkisofs -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -l -J -R -r -T -v -V \'CDrom label\' -m \'*CVS*\' $cdburn_root | /usr/bin/cdrecord -v speed=$config{burnspeed} dev=$config{dev} -");

And my isolinux.cfg:

--------
default linux
prompt 1
display general.msg
label linux
kernel vmlinuz
append ks=floppy initrd=initrd.img lang= devfs=nomount ramdisk_size=9216
label text
kernel vmlinuz
append initrd=initrd.img lang= text devfs=nomount ramdisk_size=9216

--------

I was very dissapointed to see that while the modification worked, it gave me
that stupid error message about the bad magic number -- and users didn't like
that too much, hence the transition -- and all of my installation woes went
away almost magically.

I have my comps file simplified down to something like the following:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE comps PUBLIC "-//Red Hat, Inc.//DTD Comps info//EN" "comps.dtd">

<comps>
<!--  <meta> -->
<!-- Meta information will go here eventually -->
<!--  </meta> -->

4

<group>
  <id>Base</id>
    <name>Base</name>
      <default>true</default>
      <description>Required Base system packages</description>
	<uservisible>false</uservisible>
	    <packagelist>

	         <packagereq type="mandatory">SysVinit</packagereq>
		 <packagereq type="mandatory">zlib</packagereq>
	    </packagelist>
</group>

</comps>

As you can see, very simple.  Converted my old comps file with some cut-n-paste
and some simple VI/VIM search and replaces, and was done.

At any rate, I hope this is helpful - look to stage1 to solve this issue with
7.3, or convert to 8.0 and solve it altogether.

Let me know if I can help any more!
-brad