Re: adding e1000 module to installer

On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, Matthew Richards wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I am trying to get a Red Hat 7.3 based installer to detect and configure an Intel PRO/1000 NIC during install (the e1000.o module).
>
> Currently the NIC is not detected during install, but is found by kudzu after the first reboot.
>
> Upon extracting module-info, modules.dep, modules.cgz and pcitable from stage2.img i have found that it appears as though support for the NIC is already included. I have drawn this conclusion after finding the following:
>
> In modules.cgz:
> 2.4.18-3BOOT/e1000.o
>
> In module-info:
> e1000
> eth
> "Intel EtherExpress/1000 gigabit"
>
> In pcitable:
> 0x8086 0x1000 "e1000" "Intel Corp.|82542 Gigabit Ethernet Controller"
> **and six more lines mapping similar device IDs to the e1000 module.
>
> I do not understand why the Intel gigabit card is not supported during install. The only thing that I can think of is that the driver packed into modules.cgz does not work properly with the cards that I have tried. But even that sounds a little strange!?!
>
> Could anyone please tell me if my assumption about e1000 support already being included in the installer is correct?
>
> Could anyone please tell me how I may update the e1000 module in the installer?
>
> I have attempted a procedure similar to the one described at http://public.planetmirror.com/pub/ibiblio/docs/HOWTO//other-formats/html_single/KickStart-HOWTO.html#s9 with no success. Perhaps I got it worng.

I cannot tell you why they decide not to include it in the installer,
though it may have had something to do with driver status (RH7.3 has been
out for quite some time and e1000 driver still had bugs to fix back then)
and etc.  But what I _could_ tell you is that I've setup kickstart for
about 70 Dell GX260s which came with e1000 on board.  It also came with
new IDE controller for which only Alan Cox's kernel tree recognized and
turned on DMA back then, so I had to customize the installation kernel as
well (not only playing with the pci tables and other images).

RH released kernel updates, so you should re-create your RH7.3 installation
image from the vanilla RH7.3 to the one with latest kernel image.  After
that you should take images/bootnet.img floppy image and rebuild initrd.img
that comes in it (I am assuming that you know how to do that).  In particular,
the following will be to your interest

1. modules/module-info
My module-info file reads this

	Version 0
	e1000
        	eth
        	"Intel Gigabit Ethernet Controller"

2. modules/modules.cgz
The following is what's in mine (keep in mind that YOU don't have to have
the same content, I had to revert to AC's kernel back then and e1000 driver
was a bit big, so I had to yield something else)

	sh-2.05a# zcat modules.cgz |cpio --list
	2.4.19-pre10-ac1/e1000.o
	2.4.19-pre10-ac1/lockd.o
	2.4.19-pre10-ac1/nfs.o
	2.4.19-pre10-ac1/sunrpc.o
	534 blocks

3. modules/pcitable
I know someone posted his pcitable, but since it looked little different
from mine, I am posting mine here.  The following is my pcitable entries
regarding e1000

	0x8086  0x1000  "e1000" "Intel Corp.|82542 Gigabit Ethernet Controller"
	0x8086  0x1001  "e1000" "Intel Corp.|82543GC Gigabit Ethernet Controller"
	0x8086  0x1002  "unknown"       "Intel Corp.|Pro 100 LAN Modem 56 Cardbus II"
	0x8086  0x1004  "e1000" "Intel Corp.|82543GC Gigabit Ethernet Controller"
	0x8086  0x1008  "e1000" "Intel Corp.|82544EI Gigabit Ethernet Controller"
	0x8086  0x1009  "e1000" "Intel Corp.|82544EI Gigabit Ethernet Controller"
	0x8086  0x100c  "e1000" "Intel Corp.|82544GC Gigabit Ethernet Controller"
	0x8086  0x100d  "e1000" "Intel Corp.|82544GC Gigabit Ethernet Controller"

After inserting new initrd.img into your network install floppy image,
you _should_ syslinux it.  I say you _should_ because you really don't
have to (I think...), but be safe.

See if you can get these steps done (I realize that this is no where near
being a comprehensive step by step instruction, but it's a start).  It
should be all you need.

Andrew Park

 CDFlab Systems Administrator                       www.cdf.toronto.edu
 GnuPG Signature              www.cdf.utoronto.ca/~apark/public_key.txt