Re: RPM Installation Ordering

>Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 11:21:33 +0800 (WST)
>From: John <red@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: anaconda-devel-list@xxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: RPM Installation Ordering
>
>On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 joseph.r.bezouska@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>
>> Howdy --
>>
>> Anaconda newbie, here -- been studying the docs/source
>> (pkgorder, rpmmodule.c, depends.c, etc) to follow the
>> process of establishing bootstrap install RPM ordering.
>> Having trouble, though, reconciling an observation to
>> the code.
>>
>> Installing "minimal" 8.0 (largely only Core, Base, Dial-up comps)
>> yields this RPM install order on my system (from /root/install.log
>> as well as rpm -qa --last):
>>
>> 1. glibc-common
>> 2. hwdata
>> 3. redhat-menus
>> 4. setup
>> 5. filesystem
>> 6. basesystem
>>   ..... (so on) ......
>>
>> Some docs speak of how basesystem should be the first
>> installed, and its dependence (noted in comps file) on
>> filesystem and in turn setup seems to make the order of
>> 4, 5, and 6 make sense.
>>
>> However, looking over comps and basesystem, I'm missing
>> why 1, 2, and 3 in particular would install first.
>

>AFAIK you don't need to concern yourself with install order. Unless,
>maybe, you want to cut a custom CD with only those packages you need.
>
>I personally like to install from a web server, and use the webserver
>logs to discern the order packages are installed.

Thanks -- long term, a custom CD is likely the goal.
Short term, it's curiousity about what is "sepcial"
about these 3.

I mean, clearly they are pretty bascially necessary,
but what/where specifically mandates these
before basesystem -- the purported "first" RPM
to be installed?

Why these and not, just for sake of example,
say bdflush?

Curiousity, really -- perhaps the question itself is
way off track.

original.  Any other use of the email by you is prohibited.