Re: kernel upgrade/ kickstart question

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Panu Matilainen wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Feb 2003, William F. Acker WB2FLW +1-303-777-8123 wrote:
> > >
> > Hi Tony,
> >
> >      The last Valhalla kernel with which the installer could be built was
> > kernel-BOOT-2.4.18-10.  Just build the installer using that kernel, then
> > update the tree to the latest kernel, as well as everything else, do the
> > genhdlist and pkgorder and the rest as normal.  When you install, you'll
> > get the latest kernel, not 2.4.18-10.  ISO's done this way can be found at
> > ftp://linux-speakup.org/pub/speakup/disks/redhat/7.3/ although they're a
> > bit stale now.
>
> Note that while you can do this, it breaks kudzu to some extent (been
> there, done that...). At the postinstall stage kudzu probes for USB and
> sound at least, the problem is it tries to locate kernel modules for its
> findings from /lib/modules/<version of running kernel>/ path and if the
> versions differ it fails, resulting in things like USB mouse working at
> install time but not on the first boot before you manually add "alias
> usb-controller.." to /etc/modules.conf etc. Kudzu from rawhide can be told
> where to look for the modules so you could patch anaconda to make kudzu
> look for your actual kernel version.

Hi,

     That explains why, at some point in my series of updates, the system
would hang at the "performing post install configuration" stage if my USB
floppy was attached.  However, I'm a bit confused about which modules
Kudzu is going after.  We know that we're using the BOOT kernel for the
install.  Therefore, whatever version of modules found in the /lib/modules
directory of the newly installed system would be wrong in one way or
another.  I wonder if the kernel-BOOT package is installed and removed at
the end.  We could probably prove this by interrupting the installation
process at just the right point.

          Any thoughts?

--
Bill in Denver