Re: creating new anaconda

On Sat Feb 01 2003 at 12:01, "Vishal Dalsania" wrote:

Yeah, you posted *two* copies of this message, didn't you?  One to
the mailing list, and another to me personally (and even then not as
a Cc).

Don't do that: post your replies ONLY to the list.  please?

  I'll see it in the list, and then (if I can answer it and I'm
  motivated enough) I'll reply to the list.

  (I was very tempted to simply ignore your message altogether.
  Especially with your otherwise "anonymous" hotmail email address).

> >From: Tony Nugent <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >To: anaconda-devel-list@xxxxxxxxxx
> >Subject: Re: creating new anaconda
> >Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 16:54:07 +1000
> >
> >On Fri Jan 31 2003 at 11:44, "Vishal Dalsania" wrote:
> >
> > > i have successfully created the rpm from source of anaconda
> > > and i have also installed it but when i am going for the
> > > creation of custom iso image of my linux then the changes that
> > > i have done in anaconda is not visible to me why ?

You don't say which redhat distribution your customised one is based
on (rh 7.2, 7.3, 8.0, rawhide, or the beta?)  It matters.

> >Did you replace your modified anaconda package with the one in
> >RedHat/RPMS/ and then rebuild the installer?

I was gving some strongs hints here about what you needed to do.

> actually i am not building the custom iso image of redhat linux but the
> other distribution

I really don't have any idea what you mean by that confusing
statement...  what "other distribution" are you talking about?

Let me "sanitise" the rest of your reply a little...

> and i have first
>     copied the original installation cd into my /root/cdrom
>     directory
> and then i have
>     replaced the rpms that i have modified in
>     /root/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS directory
> and then
>     modified comps file

So far so good...

(You don't talk about comps.xml, so I assume that you are doing this
based on a distro based on rh7.x).

> and i have
>     created iso image by mkisofs command

But this is not all that needs to be done, a lot more is required
besides just modifying the comps file, crossing your fingers,
creating an iso image from that, and then crossing your fingers
again as you attempt to boot-test the result.

Did you run genhdlist at all?  And what about pkgorder?  And in your
case (with apparently non-trivial changes to the installer itself),
did you run buildinstall as well?

You need to do some reading:

For redhat 7.2 and 7.3...

	http://www.linuxworks.com.au/redhat-installer-howto.html

For redhat 8.0...

	http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/RedHat-CD-HOWTO/index.html
	http://rhlinux.redhat.com/anaconda/

  (If what you are doing is based on a 6.x distro, then that is
  another story altogether, way too old now to even bother talking
  about).

Also, the archives for this mailing list are an invaluable resource,
you'll find the URL that will get you to them stamped at the bottom
of every message that comes from the list.  That (and perhaps
google.com) should have been your first resource for looking for
answers to your questions.

> the RPMS directory does not contain the rpm of anaconda and anaconda runtime
> after the creation of cd from iso image

Well then go ahead and put them in there, and rebuild the actual
installer so that your modifications end up in the boot and
installer images after using the /usr/lib/anaconda-runtime/buildinstall
script.

> when i start installation

Ahh, you don't say how you made the iso (or floppy) boot image...
what boot image did you use for doing that?  No doubt the one from
the original unmodified distribution.

> the chages made in to anaconda is not visible

Of course not... the installer is booting and running with images
made with the original anaconda installer.

When you do a buildinstall, a new installer will be created from
whatever anaconda rpms it finds in the RedHat/RPMS/ directory.
That's where your changes need to be put so that they will be used.

  (Actually, it is possible to totally modify the installer
  behaviour by creating your own customised updates image.  But
  that's another story... however, depending on what you wanted to
  achieve with your modifications, in many cases this would be an
  easy short-cut way to avoid having to rebuild the installer
  itself).

> i have also installed the modified anaconda and anaconda-runtime
> rpms before creating iso image.

That's definitely not adequate enough for what you want to do.

Heck, you say that you are modifying the comps file (and then the
installation then proceeds without any errors?? - hard to believe),
but you don't say anything about using any of the installed anaconda
tools anyway.

Please read the above references and you'll soon get a better idea
about how it really needs to be done.

  (And please - and I realise that English may not be your first
  language - can you add more details and improve the grammar and
  readability of your posts?  You need to help us understand exactly
  what your problem is, what you are doing, and what you want to
  achieve).

Cheers
Tony