Re: confused about explanation of getfullcomps.py utility

On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, Panu Matilainen wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >

> > >   yes, i'm still keen on understanding this process completely,
> > > and i'm reading the RedHat-CD-HOWTO, which seems a bit confusing.
> > >
> > >   if you're interested, i'm looking at
> > >
> > >   www.tldp.org/HOWTO/RedHat-CD-HOWTO/include-updates.html
> > >
> > > section 5.3.3.3, "Update the comps.xml file"
> > >
> > >   if you read the instructions, it syggests downloading the
> > > comps-8.0.tar.gz tarball, installing comps-extras and doing the
> > > next several instructions.
> > >
> > >   however, if i try this without making any changes (which
> > > should work), i get a number of CRITICAL ERRORs.  without
> > > getting into that just yet, i'm baffled by the call to the
> > > "getfullcomps.py" utility, which is called with an argument
> > > of "comps.xml".  is that a typo?  *what* comps.xml file?
> > > there is no comps.xml file in this directory yet, since the
> > > whole purpose of this process is to *build* one.
> >
> > The purpose of getfullcomps.py is not to generate a comps.xml for you but
> > to generate the dependency information at the end of the final comps.xml.
> > You need a "template" comps.xml (comps-milan.xml in the comps tarball)
> > which has all the "this package belongs to this group and is installed by
> > default" stuff listed in it and then you run getfullcomps.py against the
> > template .. which you then append to the final comps.xml. Messy? Oh yes...
>
> sorry, that still doesn't answer my question.  if you go to the
> web page i list above, section 5.3.3.3, one of the commands run
> is "getfullcomps.py":
>
>   $ /usr/share/comps-extras/getfullcomps.py comps.xml \
>      /abs-path-to-toplevel-dir i386 >> comps-tmp.xml
>
> note the reference to the file "comps.xml" in the first line.
> *which* comps.xml file?  what does this argument represent?
> the whole purpose of this section of code is to generate
> an *eventual* comps.xml file, so how can it refer to an
> *existing* file as part of the process?
>
> what does that argument mean?  or is it a typo?  am i making
> more sense now?  the rest of it i can deal with.

It's a typo/thinko in the instructions. Should be
/usr/share/comps-extras/getfullcomps.py comps-tmp.xml ... or have 'cp
comps-tmp.xml comps.xml' before it, if you follow
those instuctions by the letter. What the argument *means* is the
to-be-comps-xml file without the dependency-cruft at the end (which is
what getfullcomps.py generates)

--
	- Panu -