Trademark Law

Like all such discussions that deal with the law .. get a lawyer.
Discussions on lists are just wasted electrons because in the end, you
will need to get a trademark lawyer involved to explain the googles of
pages of US Trademark laws, International Trademark treaties and laws,
and probably a hundred other items that all deal with this.

The simplest explanation in the US is that a company MUST defend to the
death any and all trademark claims or risk losing the trademark. The
strangest thing is it must rigorously define what the trademark covers
but not what it doesn't.

And having worked in Red Hat support for many years before going on
elsewhere.. we had a LOT (for 5.2 about 70% of complaints) of 'I got Red
Hat from a cdrom out of a book, resale site, etc etc.. and I want my 30
days of support on your web-page.' People expected the name to mean what
they read etc in news articles, on web pages, etc.

So in the end, get a lawyer if you are concerned so that they can at
least guide you through and your ass is covered.

--
Stephen John Smoogen		smoogen@xxxxxxxx
Los Alamos National Labrador  CCN-2 B-Schedule  PH: